General Meeting & Piute Ponds Presentation: August 18th, 2015
Contributed by: Sue Craft
A crowd of 57+ people from LPA, Audubon Society and Friends of Piute attended an information packed presentation from Wanda Deal on our local preserve…Piute Ponds. Wanda has been the manager of the preserve for many years and her passion for the conservation work that has been done was inspiring. Her working partner, Mark Hagan was also in attendance answering questions about this eco system that has been carefully developed over the years.
Wanda reviewed the history of this local treasure that many of us have yet to discover. She also displayed images of the wildlife that inhabit the Piute Ponds. Many audience members were surprised at the diversity of the wildlife there.
More information on Piute Ponds and how to gain access to the area can be found at piuteponds.com .
In addition to Wanda’s presentation, a bird photography tip sheet by Sue Liberto was distributed.
Membership - See Kurtiss or Bill to join LPA. July 1 started a new LPA Year. Please fill out a new “Member Application” for dues renewal. Update your information and sign a new Release of Liability form that will be valid for as long as you are an LPA member (instead of one year).
Douglas Wade thanked the Audit Committee, Ramon Rosario (absent) and Sarah Osenga. Wayne Staley presented them with Membership Recognition mugs.
Programs/Workshops - Rock Myers
- August 25th - Photo Sharing - 10 images (Website or Flash Drive)
- September 15th - Introduction to Photography pt 1
- September 22nd - Introduction to Photography pt 2
- October 27th – “Under the Night Sky” – Pete Scifries
- November 17th - Rob Sheppard
Competitions – Bonnie Matthews-Franke
- October 20th – Open – Judge – TBA
- January 19th, 2016 - Creative – Judge – TBA
- March 15th, 2016 – Step into the Past - Judge - TBA
- May 17th, 2016 - Flowers, Judge – TBA
- LPA website “Competition Rules” have been update with “Entry Agreement”
Field Trips – Christine Wilkins
- September 19th – Street Architectural Photography, Los Angeles – Douglas Wade
- October 17th – Ghost Walk at Ft. Tejon – Need Leader
- November 8th or December 6th – Date TBD - Mentryville & Rancho Camulos Festival – Chris Wilkins
- February 5th and 6th, 2016 – Lewis Kemper Photography Field Trip, Organized by Don Goeschl. Photograph nature/wildlife along the Sacramento River. Details on website.
- February, 2016 – Date TBD – Calico Ghost Town – Douglas Wade
- April, 2016 – Date TBD – Cactus/Flower Macro Photography – Diane Cable
PSA Report - Nan Carder
- See PSA report on LPA website
Friday Night Discussion Group – Glenn Olson
- 2nd & 4th Friday of month (August 28th & Sept 11th) -Denny’s 2005 West Ave K @6:30pm
Sunday Breakfast - Dale Ware
- Sunday September 20th, 7:30am Patty’s Cafe, 43943 Sierra Hwy, #A Lancaster
Library – Ron Yagi
- Books and videos available for checkout
Newsletter - Douglas Wade
- August 24th - deadline for August newsletter
AV Fair - Douglas Wade
- Sue Craft - Congratulations to Douglas Wade for 2015 AV Fair Volunteer of the Year!
- Tickets for hours already volunteered and for monitors - back table - see Sue Craft
- If not here to pick up tickets or handicapped parking needed, contact Sue
- Volunteer Signups on the back table (see scroll) - monitors still needed
- Help needed for Pick Up Day - Monday August 31st (hours volunteered go towards 2016 AVF Volunteer hours for passes).
- Thank you to all those who helped for 2015!!!
Announcements – Douglas Wade
- Membership Chair Needed
- Webmaster Needed
- LPA Board Meetings moving to 2nd Thursday of month in Senior Center Library
- LPA Name Tags w/new logo order form on Website -$7.50 including tax - forms on back table, or download on LPA website