Over 45 members attended and 2 visitors.
The evening began with Don Bennett sharing photos and stories of his recent 17 day photographic journey in northern Tanzania.
He stayed at Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, Ndutu, the tented camps of Kusini and Kirawira, and the Serengeti along the way.
He showed us approximately 200 photographs of birds and animals he shot on his journey and explained a little about each animal, equipment used and/or how shot. He also answered questions as they came up during his presentation.
Don has been with the LPA for 30 years or so, off/on and is part of the original group who formed the LPA.
Before retiring, he worked in Frequency Management, and Communications Security at Dryden Flight Research Center. Don likes to photograph most everything and use the camera to add enjoyment to all his outdoor activities ...hunting, fishing, horseback riding.
Don has not only shared this program with us, but with the Sierra Club, and Elderhostel group in Utah. We again would like to say, Thank you to Don for a wonderful program.
We then had a brief reminder about the upcoming field trips which are on the Website:
- Sept 3 Astro-Photography by Bill Riedhart at Saddleback Butte, Wed. 6:30 pm.
- Sept 23 Critique Session. It will be moderated by Lyle Trusty who will choose various members to do critiques.
- Oct 8-10 Fall Colors Bishop Area, (more info will be on the internet in a few days)
- Oct 13-14 Eureka Sand Dunes in Death Valley, Moon rise and moon set
John Shedrick spoke about the fair, thanking everyone for their help, stating they are happy with the judges and stated we should all enjoy the exhibits.
John also reported in Oct he is trying to schedule a portrait workshop with Hank Morris but it may have to be postponed due to scheduling conflicts to a later date.
Sue Craft spoke about programs:
- Sept 16 at 6pm Winning Photo Competitions - Presented by Mark Comon. His program this evening will answer the question, what does it take to win? BE THERE!!!
- Oct 21 at 6pm Open Competition night
- Nov 2 LA Zoo 19th Annual Photographers Day at 7:30am
- Nov 18 at 6pm Light and Landscape, by Jim Cooluris
Sue also reminded us to please volunteer to bring snacks for the monthly meeting. You are reimbursed up to $30. Sign up on the LPA Webpage.
Fred Griggs reminded us of the upcoming competitions:
- October - Open
- January - Close-up
- March - Computer Imaging
David Wilkins also reminded us to submit articles to him for the newsletter. Members, it is our newsletter, you can submit articles, photos you took on trips or in your back yard. He will assist you in writing the article. He thanked everyone that has submitted articles and photos and encourages suggestions.
Beth Goodno will bring refreshments next month.
We would like to thank Katelyn Humphrey for the refreshments this month.
The winner of the 50/50 drawing was Lyle Trusty.