Well, S4C is getting ready to start back up with their first competition opening Sept 14 and closing Oct 5 with the judging being held on Oct 12th remotely. LPA did real good last year and I’d like to see us start the 2013-2014 year with a lot of fresh, new images to be considered for Interclub competitions. For S4C Interclub and to participate as an Individual, you MUST have a UEN to enter. If you do not have one, please go to the S4C website and request yours today (just takes about 5 min)!. If everyone who entered in the fair would send me 2 or 3 images, I would have a nice pool of images to last a few months to choose from. When sending an image, please send me your UEN. If you have any questions about S4C or wish to send me images, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Competition Definition Changes
Some of the definitions used for competitions have changed or been clarified. S4C essentially follows definitions used by the Photographic Society of America (PSA) for its exhibitions, and updates its definitions as PSA's definitions are modified. S4C, however, restricts or clarifies these definitions where necessary to avoid confusion.. Entrants to S4C competitions are advised to read the definitions and other entry requirements carefully to ensure that entered images are in conformance and are not DQ’d (disqualified).
The main changes to the definitions for 2014 are:
- A new section has been added to the Pictorial Division: Pictorial Studio. Click here for the definition. Images eligible for entry into Pictorial Studio may NOT be entered into Pictorial Individual Color!
The main changes to the definitions for 2013 were:
- The statement regarding modification of images that applies to all reality-based divisions (Nature, Photo Travel, and Photojournalism) has been augmented to make clear that derived images such as infra-red are not permitted.
- A paragraph as been added to Nature Wildlife that clarifies that images eligible for Nature Wildlife are also eligible for Nature General, but also clarifies the kinds of images appropriate for Nature Wildlife.
- The Photo Travel definition has been significantly modified and now makes it much clearer that the primary elements of an image must be distinctive with respect to features or culture.
- A note has been added to the definitions of PJ General and PJ Human Interest that judges at S4C will be instructed to interpret the phrase 'images that misrepresent the truth and model or staged set-ups are not permitted' as including any images that appear to be posed.
- The definition of excluded action in PJ Human Interest has been modified to read 'excluding recreational or organized sports action'.
- A note has been added to the definitions of Nature General and Nature Wildlife to make it clear that the phrase 'human elements shall not be present' includes any objects made by humans (including part of humans!).
Changes to Competitions for 2013-2014
The S4C Board has approved the following changes to competitions for the 2013-2014 competition year:
Meetings: There will just be two ‘physical’ meetings at California Baptist University in November and April. The remaining competitions (October, December, January, February, and March) will all be digital and will be judged remotely.. The Delegates and Board meetings will be in November and April.
- Prints: Due to lack of participation, all Print Division sections have been discontinued.
- A new section - Pictorial Studio - has been added to the Pictorial Division. Images eligible for this section may not be entered into Pictorial Individual Color.
- Definitions: There are some changes to the competition definitions this year to bring S4C into conformance with PSA’s revised definitions and to clarify some of the definitions.
...Clarification regarding new Section
In an earlier email regarding the introduction of the new Pictorial Section into the range of S4C's competition offerings, I stated that " ...images eligible for entry into Pictorial Studio may not be entered into any other Pictorial section."
This is not quite the case. Such images may still be entered into Interclub and – suitably altered so as to become eligible - into Creative.
Of course, monochrome images (as we define monochrome) are not eligible for entry into Pictorial Studio since that section consists only of color images. However, monochrome images otherwise eligible for the Studio section may still be entered into Pictorial Monochrome.
Tentative Saturday Meeting Schedule (2013-2014)
Judging Entry Opens/Closes
Oct 12 Sept 14 / Oct 5 Remote
Nov 9 Oct 12 / Nov 2 Judging, Delegates Mtg, Board Mtg
Dec 14 Nov 16 / Dec 7 Remote
Jan 11 Dec 14 / Jan 4 Remote
Feb 8 Jan 11 / Feb 1 Remote
Mar 8 Feb 8 / Mar 1 Remote
Apr 12 Mar 15 / Apr 5 Judging, Delegates Mtg, Board Mtg
Jun 7 Banquet Almansor Court
July Judging 49th International Exhibition Photography