Douglas Wade, our Vice President and Program Chairman, introduced our speaker for the evening Curt Gideon, who did his presentation on “Wedding Photography”.
Curt Gideon is an AV and destination wedding photographer that is a master of wedding photography. He does additional work for the City of Lancaster (often you will see his work on the cover of the OUTLOOK), and his wedding photographs are featured in the main window display in the store, The Forge on the BLVD. He is a multiple competition winner for his photography and is one of the busiest photographers in the area and abroad.
Working with wedding parties is unique for the photography business. People are excited about this time in their life and want the best, but most couples have not done this before. He will pose them for the best images. They will need the trust of someone that will deliver their special memories. He covered the communication required between what the couple wants (and other family members), the locations desire, the budget, the shot list. Even items like the venue, caterers, and working with videographers. Dealing with things that can go wrong, on that special day. The limo is late, the flower girl lost her right shoe, the flowers are the wrong color, etc... Making sure to get the images and not hold up the wedding party, so they are free to enjoy the day.
Curt went into great detail about “after” the wedding...working with the images, protecting them, the post processing of the images (such as time savers), and then finally presenting the images to the married couple. Selling the memories, both digital and printed.
Whether you are the prime photographer or the second shooter, he elaborated about the gear needed, particularly lighting gear, and finally his workflow. As a wedding photographer, he stresses the importance of being prepared for a wedding, which is critical. Often, if you start working a year in advance in terms of prep, it may be the key to being successful.
Curt was so helpful in answering many of our members questions regarding the presentation.
Thanks for a night filled with such valuable information Curt!
- Carol Moss welcomed 4 new visitors to the meeting this evening.
- Sue Craft introduced her friend, and LPA member from years ago, Kay Hendrickson, in from Idaho. She touched on some adventurous field trips they all took, and some wild parties in the past Kay had hosted. Sue also displayed Kay’s beautifully published book on poppies.
PSA Roundup Chapter Workshop:
- April 26th – all details and registration can be seen on PSA website
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- Corporate Challenge: Feb 22nd - Jun 14th - Terri Garner needs more volunteers for this event! Photographing the events, and other various duties. PLEASE sign up if you can, see details online at www.lpaphotography.org
- Children’s Center Family Fun Day: Saturday Apr 5th - Terri Garner will need volunteers to “man the booth” in the parking lot of the center. It’ll be from 10-1pm…see LPA website for more details
- Poppy Festival: Apr 26th- 27th - Sue Craft asked if the members thought LPA should participate in this years festival. Still un-determined if we will indeed apply for space, and display photos for sale
- The Senior Center has scheduled monthly events, and there’s always an opportunity to be a volunteer and help photograph!
- Apr 15th - Rob Sheppard - Macro Photography - $200 fee
- Feb 25th - “An Evening with Lewis Kemper” – Canon Explorer of Light
- Mar 25th – “Macro” – Noella Ballenger with station set-ups
- Apr 22nd - “Basic Photography” – Tylene Trout – public will be invited to attend
- May 27th – potential “Photo Critique” – Rock Myers
- Jun 24th - “How to Enter the AV Fair” – Douglas Wade
- Jul 22nd - “Photo Mounting Workshop for AV Fair” – Douglas Wade
- Mar 18th – Open Prints – judge – George Hutchison – dinner at Greenhouse Café @ 4:30pm
- May 20th – Night Photography – judge – TBD
- None as of yet…
S4C – Bonnie Matthews - See S4C report on website. Photo boards are now being brought in by Bonnie at monthly General Meetings to display the winning images of S4C competitions.
PSA – Nan Carder - See PSA report on website
- Bonnie Matthews brought in Lightroom 4, Photoshop C6, and the Spyder: all available for checkout
- Deadline for March Newsletter is Saturday February 22nd
Friday Night Discussion Group –Terri Garner
- 2nd & 4th Friday’s of month at Carrow’s on W Ave K 6:30 pm
Sunday Breakfast Group – Dale Ware
- 3rd Sunday of the month at Carrow’s 7:30 am