Here is a list of all the awards for Lancaster Photography Association (LPA) and LPA members given at the conference:
- The PSA Club Service Award was presented to the Lancaster Photography Association and accepted by David Wilkins, LPA Past-President.
- PSA Youth Photography Showcase:
- 2nd Place Digital Images Scapes: Thea Johansen "Sky"
- 2nd Place Digital Images People/Animals: Alec Talian "Warrior of the East"
- PSA Newsletter Contest:
- Best Calendar Presentation (tie) Terri Garner News Editor
- Best Technical Article (tie) "Long Exposure Noise: What it is and Does it Matter" by David Wilkins
- Nan Carder, EPSA:
- PSA Editorial First Silver Star
- PSA International Exhibition Photojournalism Division "Joy of Childhood Award Medalist"
Each evening there was a featured presentation by a professional photographer and they were all very inspiring. Tyler Stableford (Canon Explorer Of Light) gave a presentation on his work to create a gallery show on cowboys. The next night Cole Thompson gave a presentation on black and white, which he uses almost exclusively. Darrell Gulin (Canon Explorer Of Light) showed his travel and nature photos on a third night. One common theme that ran through these three presentations is they do not follow the so-called rules of photography. Following rules can stifle your creativity each of these professionals believes.
Once the conference was over, it was time for the Balloon Fiesta. A mass ascension was scheduled for the first two mornings. At sunrise the balloons start taking the skies. The bus left the hotel at 5AM, giving plenty of time to wander around and take in the sights before the balloons took flight. The first day the weather cooperated and the balloons took off. On the second day the wind was too strong and none flew.
Chris and I had a good time and would recommend going. Next year the PSA Annual Conference will be held in West Yellowstone.
By David and Chris Wilkins