Mel Carll is a Professional Photographer in Santa Clarita. He also teaches beginning photography classes at his studio Santa Clarita Valley Center for Photography. Mel is currently the President of the Professional Photographers of Los Angeles County. Mel’s passion is creating amazing and fun images. Mel’s comments on competition images were very educational as he referred to the importance of cropping, paying attention to “hot spots”, tonality, and offered tips on when a vignette helps to focus the eye on the subject, and how key lines can keep your image maximized in the frame.
We had a total of 92 entries with 18 prints and 75 digital. For print entry participants, we had 7 intermediates, and 11 masters. For digital entries, we had 21 novice, 2 amateur, 21 advanced, and 30 masters. Congratulations to all the winners!
Welcome Visitors & New Members – Carol Moss
Programs/Workshops – Rock Myers
Oct 28 – “Bird Photography” – Matt Tekulsky – Dinner at Greenhouse Café at 4:30 pm.
Upload 5 bird photos for critique by 11:59pm Oct 23
Nov 18 – “Photoshop Tips & Camera Hands on Training” by LPA Members
Nov 25 – “Beyond Wide Open: Photography without a Lens” – Bill Debley
Dec 16 – “Holiday Party” & Field Trip Photos (5 per person/trip)
Dec 23 – No workshop/meeting
Competitions – Bonnie Matthews
Fees are increasing from $3 to $5 effective January 1 2015
Jan 20 – Photojournalism – Judge Stuart Lynn
May 19 – Portraits instead of Action
Field Trips – Chris Wilkins
Dec 2-5 – Yosemite – led by Chris/David Wilkins
Feb 7-8 – Portrait Workshop with Hank Morris – arranged by Bonnie Matthews
S4C Report - Bonnie Matthews – See S4C report on LPA website. Looking for new people to enter photos for interclub competitions, A (beginner) level. Need a UEN number.
PSA Report - Nan Carder – See PSA report on LPA website. LPA received PSA Club Service Award at PSA Conference. PSA Southern CA Roundup Chapter Event on Feb 21 at Descanso Gardens. Ocean State Competition is open.
Friday Night Discussion Group - Terri Garner
Oct 24 and Nov 14 (2nd & 4th Friday of month) at 6:30pm at Carrows (Ave K & 17th st W)
Sunday Breakfast - Dale Ware
Nov 16 (3rd Sunday of month) at 7:30pm at Carrows (Ave K & 17th st W)
Newsletter – Douglas Wade
Oct 23 - Deadline for Nov newsletter
Oct 25 – 5pm – 9pm – Volunteers needed. Community Service Event - $5 per photo. Donation to be made to Antelope Valley Children’s Center
• Arliss Dawson is having chemo starting this week. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him.
• Congratulations to Dwight Franke and Bonnie Matthews on their engagement
• Volunteers needed to photograph the Halloween Party at Senior Center Friday Oct 31 at 1:30pm
• Holiday Party – A vote was taken and members chose to have a dinner instead of only desserts. Donations of $5 per person are needed to provide dinner from Green Burrito.
• LPA Logo Competition – Open now and submissions due by 11:59pm on Friday Nov 7. Send to Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be reviewed by the board at Nov meeting. Board will limit entries to 4 (plus existing LPA logo) for presentation and vote by members at November general meeting.
• We are looking for volunteers to do write ups. Anyone can do write ups for events they attend. They can be of the general and workshop nights, as well as, field trips. Strong writing skills are not required. We use editors for all of our writing.
Newsletter Editor and Assistant – see Douglas Wade
Librarian – see Bonnie Matthews or Douglas Wade
Equipment Chair Assistant – see Paul Craft or Douglas Wade