On September 19th, we will be adventuring down to the city of Los Angeles which is rich with great architecture and excitement. We will be meeting up for a group photograph at 9:15 at Union Station.
When was the last time you visited the City? We often just visit the City when we need to for taking care of business. Have you ever just walked around the City? The streets of Los Angeles and its architecture are very historic and exciting if we take the time to stop and look. This is a walking field trip to find interesting things to photograph. Many of the images you take can be used in next three upcoming LPA competitions, such as Open, Creative, and Step into the Past.
With architecture and street photography, I recommend both wide angle and telephoto lenses. The use of tripods is restricted in many of the areas. I recommend carrying your gear in either a backpack or an over the shoulder bag. You may encounter interesting people, so be friendly, but not too friendly as you may be asked to give them money. Make sure you have water and snacks. We will be photographing at the Grand Central Market, so you can eat a late lunch there.
You can take the Metro on the weekend pass (valid for one day) for $10 and it takes you to Union Station and any other Metro areas. A side note, it is a wonderful way to arrive and travel all over Los Angeles, Hollywood, and West LA. The $10 Weekend Day Pass is available for purchase through all Metrolink ticket vending machines on Saturdays and Sundays only. Here is the link to times http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/stationtostation/
I recommend taking the 6:25 am train from Lancaster (stops in Palmdale, 10 minutes later) to Union Station. You can leave to return home by taking the 3:00 pm, 5:25 pm, or 8:55 pm trains.
If you drive and park in the Union Station parking lot, parking usually starts at $10.
We will be meeting at the beautiful and historic Union Station at 9:00 am. Union Station is an unique combination of Spanish Colonial Revival and Art Deco styles. If you never seen it, you will want to spend time photographing the building.
Around 9:30 am, we will begin the walk. We will leave as a group, but you do not need to stay with the group. You can explore on your own, but I recommend traveling in a minimum group of two or three for safety. Since you will be looking for interesting items, you may not be situation aware, so a group or small group is recommended. You can connect with me anytime, by calling or texting (661) 972-2201.
We will start at Union Station and go to Olvera Street, in the direction of Chinatown. Here is the map.
Here is the list for the Walking Shoot locations:
- Union Station -- https://www.laconservancy.org/events/union-station-walking-tour
- Olvera Street -- http://www.olvera-street.com/
- Grand Park -- http://grandparkla.org/
- Disney Concert Hall -- http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/disneyhall/la-et-cm-disney-hall-hawthorne-dto-htmlstory.html
- LA Central Library -- http://www.lapl.org/branches/central-library -- the garden is the bomb https://www.google.com/search?q=la+central+library+garden&biw=1298&bih=752&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CD4QsARqFQoTCPi4mNHYjccCFQHOgAodwx8MFg
- Cicada Bldg -- http://www.cicadaclub.com/history.asp -- roof top, penthouse, etc. http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/hcm195/Interesting
- Los Angeles Theater -- http://www.losangelestheatre.com/
- KRKD Radio Tower -- http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/historic-core-radio-towers-get-makeover/article_66e4f542-89d6-11e3-b3e2-0019bb2963f4.html
- Grand Central Market -- http://www.grandcentralmarket.com/
- Bradbury Bldg -- https://www.laconservancy.org/locations/bradbury-building
- LA City Hall -- https://dtlaexplorer.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/los-angeles-city-hall-has-an-observation-deck-on-the-27th-floor-and-its-free/
Other Interesting places to discover on your own.
- Fashion District -- http://fashiondistrict.org/
- LA Flower Mart -- http://www.originallaflowermarket.com/
- Union Rescue Mission -- http://urm.org/
You need to be a current LPA member and logged into this site to sign up.