Using ambient light:
- Camera profile- take a picture of color checker on the passport.
- White balance camera. Use color checker passport, take picture of white card on passport, select image.
- Meter room- Meter will give ISO, and F-stop. Then meter under chin of subject towards camera. Don’t rely upon meter in camera, can give false readings, use hand meter.
- Camera is on Shutter priority
- Reflective Readings:
- Dome in- want to eliminate the influence of any other lights, especially when using studio lights. Really control contribution of each light.
- Dome out- shooting “Back towards the camera” want it to illuminate all light around the subject
- Can use reflectors to throw light where you want it. Don’t be afraid to use one! You should be able to see the desired result, move the reflector until you do.
- Mixing flash with available light:
- Flash, meter, light stand, Pocket Wizard w/cord, sandbag
- Put flash on full manual “M”
- Set up light meter- 1/3 stop increments, put on channel 1 to match PW
- Pocket Wizard- put on channel 1
- Good rule is to have fill flash 10ft away (start at F8 as rule of thumb).
Shaping Light in the Studio
Studio portrait lighting:
- Make sure Meter is set in 1/3 stops
- Don’t be afraid to use, white or silver reflector. Soft boxes must be very close to subject.
- Main light, fill light, hair light, backlight, background light,…don’t over light but don’t under light either.
- Can use umbrellas or soft boxes but usually shouldn’t mix.
- MUST know what lights are going to do!
- Tip-hang reflector from light stand and use clamp at the top to hold it.